Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chocolate Cake Pie

Being born into the Solomon's family I knew that I was destined to have a sweet tooth. I had many favorite desserts, and of course loved my mother's cookies. But, as I was looking through recipes recently for this blog, I came across one of my all-time favorites. Now I haven't thought about, let alone made, this recipes for at least 30 years. What I remember was this unique combination of cake batter with a chocolate frosting baked into a pie shell. This recipe really brings me back to many of our family dinners. I have never seen another recipe similar to this one. Serving this with a scoop of your favorite ice cream or a dollop of whip cream would add a nice finishing touch. I'll definitely be making this recipe myself this week, and I hope it's as good as I remember! I would be very interested in knowing if anyone else has a similar recipe, since I've never really seen it anywhere else.

Lynn Tenenbaum

Chocolate Cake Pie
makes 1 10" pie

PIE CRUST
[You can use your favorite pie crust recipe...or even a store-bought crust if you want. Here's a recipe if you don't have one.]
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water

Mix the flour and salt . Cut in butter into the flour mixture until crumbly and about the size of a pea. Add 2 tablespoons of ice cold water. Mix until well combined, shape into a ball and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours, until it can be rolled out to fit a 10 inch pie plate.

BATTER
1 cup of flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup of unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
[My mom put nuts in just about everything. It takes real good with them, but you can leave them out if you don't want them]

Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder and salt). In a separate bowl, cream the sugar and the butter for about 2 minutes. Add the milk, vanilla, egg and beat another 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients, and mix until the flour is just incorporated. Put the batter into the 10 inch pie shell.

CHOCOLATE SYRUP
2 oz of semi sweet chocolate
2/3 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of butter
1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Melt the chocolate on low heat in a heavy sauce pan, add the water, the sugar, mix well, and bring to a boil. Add the butter and the vanilla and cool. Carefully pour the cooled chocolate sauce over the batter. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, and bake about 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
I don't remember my Mom baking the pie crust or batter first. She would assemble the whole thing and then bake it. When I try to make this again this week, I'll let everyone know if it doesn't work!!

© Copyright 2008 by Solomon's Gourmet Cookies, LLC. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to try this pie for Mother's Day. I am just such a huge fan of everything Solomon's. Keep those recipes coming!